Warm Spinach Salad
The nutty flavor and smooth, firm texture of golden chanterelle mushrooms make them an excellent addition to this warm salad. Their seasoned cooking juices are a flavorful base for the dressing. You can rinse, dry, and refrigerate the spinach leaves the night before serving.
- Extra-virgin olive oil, 3 tablespoons
- Shallot, 2 teaspoons minced
- Garlic, 1 clove, minced
- Chanterelle mushrooms, ½ pound, brushed clean and cut lengthwise into quarters
- Sea salt or kosher salt, ½ teaspoon
- Freshly ground pepper, ½ teaspoon
- Sherry vinegar, 1 tablespoon
- Spinach leaves, 6 cups (about 2 bunches), stems removed
serves 4 – 6
In a frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the shallot, garlic, mushrooms, and ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Sauté until the mushrooms are golden and soft, 4–5 minutes. Remove from the heat, and, using a slotted spoon, transfer the mushroom mixture to a bowl, cover with aluminum foil to keep warm, and set aside. Leave the drippings in the pan. To make the dressing, return the pan to medium heat and add the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and ¼ teaspoon salt, the pepper, and the vinegar to make a dressing. Heat, stirring, just until hot, about 1 minute, then pour into a large bowl. Add the spinach to the bowl and toss to coat evenly with the dressing. Add the reserved mushroom mixture and toss again until the ingredients are evenly distributed. Divide the salad evenly among salad plates and serve right away.