Corned Beef and Cabbage (Crock Pot)
- 1 4 pound corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 10 baby carrots or 4 carrots cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 medium onions cut into 8 wedges each
- 1 1/2 pounds small red potatoes, halved
- 1/2 head medium cabbage, core intact, cut into wedges
- 12 ounces stout beer (optional)
In a 5-to-6 quart crock pot, place carrots, potatoes and onion in bottom of pot. Place brisket, fat side up, on top of vegetables, add beer (if using) and spices from packet. Add enough water to just cover the brisket. Cover and cook on low 8 hours (4 1/2 hours on high) until meat and vegetables are tender.
After initial cooking time, arrange cabbage on top and sides of brisket. Pot may seem overcrowded. Cover and cook until cabbage is tender, 1 1/2 hours on low (45 minutes to 1 hour on high).
Remove corned beef from pot. Thinly slice against the grain, serve with vegetables, cooking liquid and grainy mustard.